Family Law

WA has its own Family Court: the Family Court of Western Australia. In all other states and territories, family law proceedings are brought in the Family Court of Australia. Both Family Courts deal with divorce, property of a marriage or de facto relationship, matters relating to children, adoptions and surrogacy.

Legal Aid WA provide Family Court services through a duty lawyer to people who require urgent assistance in family law matters. The duty lawyer can be requested by asking staff at the front counter of the Registry of the Family Court of WA, at 150 Terrace Road, Perth.

Before going to Family Court, you must fill in pre-filing procedures, unless your application is for divorce only or for child support only. The Family Court of WA brochure called ‘Before you file – pre-filing procedure’ is located at and is a useful resource.

Comments are closed.